Inviting Lecturers

Individuals may enter the United States to give a lecture with a B-1 (visitor for business) visa or under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). They may be paid an honorarium and be reimbursed by Catholic University of America for travel and living expenses related to the lecture.

The lecturer may only be paid an honorarium and/or reimbursement if they have not received payment from more than five other institutions in the past six months and the academic activity lasts less than nine days.

Entering on a B-1 Visa for Business

The individual should apply for the B-1 visa the U.S. Consulate in their home country. They will need a Sample Letter of Invitation B-1/WB to use in support of the visa application. The lecturer should then present the B-1 visa and letter of invitation at the port of entry and explain the purpose of the trip. It is important that the visitor enters in B-1 and not B-2 status. Georgetown will be unable to pay the honorarium and reimburse expenses if the lecturer enters in B-2 tourist status.

*Important note: Beginning November 29, 2016, travelers with a 10-year B-1/B-2, B-1 or B-2 visa in a People's Republic of China (PRC) passport will be required to enroll in the Electronic Visa Update System (EVUS) in order to be admitted to the United States in B-1 or B-2 status. Travelers using passports from Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR or Taiwan are not affected by the EVUS enrollment requirement.