H-1B temporary worker visa status is used for employment in specialty occupations. A specialty occupation is defined as a position that requires at least a Bachelor's degree in a specific field and theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge in order to perform the job duties. Jobs that require any Bachelor's degree do not qualify.

The H-1B Visa is employer and- job-specific and requires an employer to file applications with the U.S. Department of Labor (DoL) and U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) in order to sponsor an employee. This visa allows for an individual to work for up to six years.

The entire H-1 process can take three - eleven months to complete. Therefore, please allow ample processing time.

  • This information is intended to provide basic, general information only and should not be used as a substitute for professional advice from qualified immigration specialists.

    University's Policy May Be Changed at any time Without Prior Notice.