The U.S. has over 20 different nonimmigrant statuses, each with specific rules, restrictions, durations, and eligibility requirements. Not every classification can legally work or study in the U.S. These pages are intended to provide brief overviews of key immigration-related concepts.

Travel Outside the U.S.

  • Maintain valid passport (must be valid at least 6 months beyond the dates of trip)
  • Travel to Canada and Mexico
  • Travel Signatures (F and J status holders) be sure to obtain travel signature from OIS on travel documentation before travel.
  • Applying for a visa to enter another country (visit the embassy website of the country you wish to visit)

Legal Information