Citizens of certain countries do not need to obtain a visa in their passport if they are coming to the U.S. for periods of less than 90 days and will be entering as visitors either for business or for tourism. In order to enter the U.S. under the visa waiver program, the following must apply:
- Duration of the stay is 90 days or less
- Purpose of stay is primarily for tourism or business
- Must have a machine readable passport valid for six months past the date of their intended stay
- Must not be coming to study
- Must have applied for travel authorization under the Electronic System for Travel Authorization, which is free and is NOT the same thing as a visa.
Likewise, U.S. citizens do not require a visa to enter those countries.
The following 38 countries are part of the Visa Waiver Program:
- Czech Republic
- New Zealand
- San Marino
- South Korea
- The United Kingdom
Learn more about the Visa Waiver Program on the U.S. Department of State