Costs and Timeframes
Cost: $180 SEVIS Fee (must be paid by anyone prior to submission of visa application) plus cost of visa application and any reciprocity fee. The SEVIS fee can be paid by anyone. Learn how to pay the fee, click here.
Timeframes: J-1 status can be fairly quick. After receiving completed and duly signed portions of the request forms, and supporting documentation, ISSS usually turns around J-1 requests in a matter of days. Thereafter, it is a matter of government processing times for the visa application.
SEVIS Reporting Requirements
Catholic University must report the following information on each J-1 sponsored by the University:
- Exchange Visitor's arrival in the U.S.
- Changes in Exchange Visitor's name and home address
- Changes in the activities
- Extensions of stay
- early departure from the U.S.
- Authorization for incidental lectures & consultations
- Changes in funding
- Out-of country participation
- Incident Reporting