The sponsorship process for someone who does not already hold J-1 status:

Step 1

Department and Scholar complete & submit respective portions of the J request forms to ISSS with supporting documentation.

Step 2

ISSS creates record in Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and issues DS-2019.

Step 3

ISSS returns DS-2019 and relevant information to requesting School/Department to be sent to Scholar.

Step 4

Scholar or School/Department pays SEVIS fee.

Step 5

Scholar processes visa application (if outside U.S.).

Step 6

Scholar enters the U.S. and is granted J-1 status at the U.S. Port of Entry.

J-1 Transfers

J-1 Transfers Sponsorship process for someone who already holds J-1 status in the same category:

  • Department and the scholar complete their respective portions of the J request form and submit it to ISSS with supporting documentation.
  • Exchange visitor informs current J sponsor of the need to transfer J sponsorship to the Catholic University. Current sponsor completes Transfer Form, click here.
  • Current J-1 sponsoring institution releases Scholar's SEVIS record to the Catholic University.
  • ISSS creates record in Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and issues Form DS-2019.
  • ISSS returns Form DS-2019 and relevant information to requesting School/Department to be sent to the Scholar.

Note: The department can request up to the full remaining time possible for the scholar's J category.

Costs and Timeframes

Cost: $180 SEVIS Fee (must be paid by anyone prior to submission of visa application) plus cost of visa application and any reciprocity fee. The SEVIS fee can be paid by anyone. Learn how to pay the fee, click here.

Timeframes: J-1 status can be fairly quick. After receiving completed and duly signed portions of the request forms, and supporting documentation, ISSS usually turns around J-1 requests in a matter of days. Thereafter, it is a matter of government processing times for the visa application.

SEVIS Reporting Requirements

Catholic University must report the following information on each J-1 sponsored by the University:

  • Exchange Visitor's arrival in the U.S.
  • Changes in Exchange Visitor's name and home address
  • Changes in the activities
  • Extensions of stay
  • early departure from the U.S.
  • Authorization for incidental lectures & consultations
  • Changes in funding
  • Out-of country participation
  • Incident Reporting

Applying for a Visa

Citizens of all countries except Canada are required to have the appropriate visa in their passports if they are to enter the U.S. in a specific nonimmigrant classification - be it to study, to work or conduct research, or even to be a tourist. Visa waivers: In certain limited circumstances, citizens of some countries are exempt from being required to have a visa when coming to the U.S. as a visitor for business or for pleasure for periods of 90 days or less.

Visas can only be obtained at a U.S. consulate outside the United States. If you have a valid visa in your passport for the immigration status you are seeking, you generally will not need to obtain a new one. If the visa is expired or if you changed your immigration status inside the U.S., you will need to apply for a new visa, in order to re-enter the U.S. in the desired immigration status.

Application procedures vary considerably from one country to another. Scholars should research the requirements. If you have a visa interview, it will be short. During the interview, you must make a good impression. Be positive and respond to the questions with clear, concise answers. If your spouse and children will remain in your country, be prepared to explain how they will support themselves in your absence.

To learn how to apply for a visa, visit or

Learn about the J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program for Professors and Scholars.

J-2 Dependent Work Permission

For information on eligibility requirements and the application process for gaining work permission as a J-2 dependent, click here.

  • The work authorization is adjudicated by U.S.C.I.S.
  • The J-2 dependent submits all required forms, documentation and filing fee of $410.
  • U.S.C.I.S processing time is approximately 90 days
  • The EAD( Employment Authorization Document) is mailed to the J-2 dependent.