Catholic University requires all students - domestic as well as international - registered at the University to have medical insurance. This policy clearly defines which students are considered to be "international students" for purposes of this particular policy.
The University automatically enrolls all students in the insurance plan offered by the University. The cost of the insurance policy is posted to the student's account unless the student waives the coverage. Student who hold F or J student status sponsored by The Catholic University of America are required to undergo an additional step in waiving their enrollment for this policy.
Requirements for Alternate Insurance Plans
If they do not wish to have medical insurance through the University, students holding Catholic University-sponsored F or J nonimmigrant statuses must show that they have medical insurance that meets or exceeds the following minimal levels:
- medical benefits of at least $500,000 per accident or illness per policy year
- repatriation of remains in the amount of at least $25,000
- medical evacuation coverage of at least $50,000, and
- a deductible of equal to or less than $6,500 per accident or illness
In addition to providing the minimal coverage amounts described above, the plan or contract must also be:
- underwritten by an insurance company having one of the following ratings:
- Backed by the full faith and credit of of the student's home country; or
- part of a health benefits program offered on a group basis to employees or enrolled students by a designated sponsor; or
- offered through or underwritten by a federally qualified Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) or eligible Competitive Medical Plan (CMP) as determined by the Health Care financing Administration of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
|Insurance Rating Source||Required Minimum Rating|
|A.M. Best||"A-" or above|
|Insurance Solvency International Ltd (ISI)||"A-I" or above|
|Standard & Poor's Claims-paying Ability||"A" or above|
|Weiss Research, Inc.||"B+" or above|
Independent insurance companies that meet the Department of State's minimum levels of insurance coverage. Please note that some of the plans available from these companies may not meet Catholic University's requirements to waive the Catholic University insurance required of its students.
Dependents in J-2 status are required to maintain medical insurance in the amounts described above.